Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Cake for an Endodontist

www.cakelava.com

Rick and I had a chuckle when we got the call from a local dentist, wanting to order a cake for her husband, an endondontist.  It was an unfortunate case of art imitating life, because Rick had recently had his first experience in an endodontist's office when he went to get a root canal.  I would never use the words "lucky" and "root canal" in the same sentence, but in this case, it was fortunate that Rick had the root canal because it made him more familiar with the process and gave a more realistic representation of how to make a tooth cake fit for an endodontist.  Our client (the dentist) came into our studio and brought us visuals of how the tooth was supposed to look, during a root canal, as well as the endodontic probe. Since her husband Wade was celebrating his 50th birthday, she requested for the number 50 on the probe.  As I sat at the table with Rick and our client discussing the root canal tooth cake, I was thankful that I would never have to go through that experience. Then a strange thing happened a month after we delivered the root canal cake to the endodontist. This time it wasn't a case of art imitating life but rather life imitating art, and after a trip to the dentist, I too found out I needed a root canal because of a previously impacted wisdom tooth that had pushed up against a molar.  I was absolutely terrified of the procedure and decided to hold off on showing the root canal cake until I had gone through it and didn't cringe when I looked at the cake. 

If you are facing a root canal of your own, know that it isn't nearly as bad as you may expect.  I barely felt anything and my recovery time was very quick, which was also Rick's experience.  The timing of my root canal couldn't have been more interesting -- 3 days before our book went to auction!  I was still recovering and at the same time celebrating a book deal with Rick.  Now that life has settled down more, and the root canals are behind us, we felt it was time to show the root canal cake.  I look at it differently now, where I'm not filled with terror at the mere sight of it, and oddly enough, I can laugh
at it because the timing was pretty funny and perfectly indicative of LIFE!  You just never know when you'll have to face your worst fears, and then make it out of cake.  


14 comments:

Gina B said...

wow, really cool

Pink Little Cake said...

Amazing cake!!! and the colors and the details are great. Of course, I wish I had never seeing this details, now I do not want to go to the dentist ever.

cakelava said...

Thank you ladies! Kathia, we know what you mean about the details. It adds to the realism but yes, it is painful to think about :)

Deeva said...

Fantastic...

cakelava said...

Thanks so much!

Jacque said...

OMG! I LOVE IT!!
Great cake you guys!!!

Teeth Whitening Allentown said...

Interesting!
Your post is pretty useful for the dental community. Thanks for taking the time and effort.

Doylestown Teeth Whitening said...

Its a good article to read out. Thanks for such a nice article.

cakelava said...

Thanks to the dentists for their comments! :)

all on 4 said...

WOW! This is a wonderful article. I loved the concept of the cake. I appreciate Rick's and your talent in making that. This article shares some knowledge on Root Canal as well. And one thing I don't want to miss out; I especially admired this line of yours - "If you are facing a root canal of your own, know that it isn't nearly as bad as you may expect." All should read it.

Cost Dental Implants said...

Indeed a very nice blog and on the basis of information it’s useful too. Thanks for sharing and the cake was just amazing. :)

Unknown said...

Carved top part out of round u cut off or use a ball pan? Thanks for advice! Wish u were in Texas to make this for my customer!!!!!

cakelava said...

Thank you Rebecca! It was a fun cake to create! As with the majority of our sculpted cakes, it was carved freehand out of a block of cake. We didn't use a ball pan.

Tina said...

I love this cake! I have never seen anything like this before, so clever. My daughter is graduating dental school in the spring, I want to get a cake just like this for her! Thanks for the post!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...